Monday, July 6, 2015

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

So, I've been watching her for a while and tried a few of her recipes - vanilla cake; strawberry cake - but not much success.  She owned a bakery and got great comments, so I think I must have done something wrong.  This time, I wanted to try her buttercream recipe.  It came out nice and fluffy, however, it isn't your normal american buttercream, and it does taste a little "greasier" I guess you could say.

In my family, only one of my sister's commented on the taste of the icing.  However, she did eat it, lol.  No one else said anything.  So maybe it's just us :)

Now, don't get me wrong, it still tastes like icing, but with that different, sort of "greasy" taste.  I am, however, pleased with the texture of the buttercream.  You can find her recipe here, along with all her other recipes and links to her YouTube videos.  Because she does have YouTube videos explaining step by step, I won't go into detail on the steps.  I just wanted to show you the pictures I got from making it at home, and the way it looks.

If anyone can help me figure out how not to make it greasy-tasting, feel free to leave a comment and help me out :).  If you have a different recipe, also let me know!

These are the egg whites before mixing in the sugar.  You can see the sugar in the bowl lol.


After mixing in the confectioners sugar (still looks really glossy and fluffy :) )

After chunking in the butter and shortening (as she states).  It didn't curdle!! YAY! (that's a win for me.  I've made other meringue buttercream when it does curdle and it freaked me out!)



After mixing with the paddle.
Note, this would have been enough to do some nice decorations on my cake, but I had 2 cakes (remember).  Had it just been one cake, I would have had fun with that! :)

My final product.

Leave comments below, let me know what you think! Enjoy!!  Check out this cake on the inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Remember, be kind :)