Friday, July 24, 2015

A Story - Mr. Duke #FBF

#FLASHBACKFRIDAY!!!

<So I found this on an old blog post I'm about to get rid of but couldn't get rid of this, so here's your Flashback Friday :)>

We, my boyfriend and I, went to the Richardson Animal Shelter to look around and maybe toy with the idea of some day getting a dog to accompany us. When we walked in, we went up and down the shelter (our soon to be adopted fury son was out of the kennel using the restroom) looking at the different dogs. We then saw him, just a puppy but so happy and skinny at the same time.

He was adorable.

Not sure if we were ready to commit to this we continued in the shelter looking around, we looked at cats, birds, and other animals they had at the shelter, but we couldn't get this cute black and white puppy out of our head. We went back and asked if we could see him and play with him outside. We took him out, he was a little frightful at first but seemed to quickly fall in love with us. I couldn't see him go back in the kennel. Sure, with his cuteness, he'd get adopted soon, but I wanted him to come home with us. We made the decision to bring him home. The shelter staff was so nice, and our puppy came home with us that very day (after some paperwork was filed). According to the paperwork, this puppy was surrendered by the previous owner, only the day before we arrived at the shelter. Immediately, our new pup took quite a liking to us. 

I remember I had to get down of the car to pick up some food, and when I came back in, my boyfriend had told me the puppy had started crying as soon as I got out, whining for me to come back. 

We got home with my family, took puppy a bath (since he was covered in fleas). It took us a few hours to find the perfect name. My mom suggested Duke (el Duque in Spanish), and so Duke was now an official member of our family. 

First few months were tough for us all, at only 2 months, Duke suffered from separation anxiety, but both parents had to work and go to school. We all learned to cope with this and make the best of the situation. Duke grew up fast not just physically but mentally as well. He was very willing to please us and any human he met. He picked up little tricks fast. Potty training, on the other hand, was a nightmare, but we got through it (cleaning a poop filled crate was no fun!!). 

First time Duke came to his new home, he was afraid of the stairs and had to be carried a few times, but we made sure to show him there was nothing to afraid of. He was quickly was running up and down the stairs. 

He went through the puppy years where everything was a chew toy, chargers, shoes, leashes, collars, dishes, even a few crates! Boy, was this puppy more money than I thought, but well worth the cuddling at nights, watching him grow up, and having an unconditional best friend. 

Three years later, I love Duke just the same. He is still just as willing to please, but very stubborn at times (like his mommy). And, like my love for him, he continues to love us unconditionally as our best friend and little blessing.



image
Puppy Duke :)



image
Duke today :) at age 3

<Today, Duke is now 6 and shares our love with his adopted sister blue, here they are at Bark at the Park Texas Rangers game.  Duke is 6, Blue is now 3; Tomorrow I'll write Blue's story, then Sunday it'll be time for me to show you my last cake project I promised you (TMNT)>


My babies, and my husband :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments. Remember, be kind :)